Masala Uttapam is one of the delicious and tasty south Indian dishes. It is very popular breakfast snack in all over India.
It is my favorite south Indian dish as well. You can buy ready made batter from the store or can make it yourself as well. I have given the method for that in the recipe description. You can also make it more delicious by adding more veggies if you like. It is really easy to make and one can quickly as well.
Below are the steps with photos for making tasty Masala Uttapam.
- Batter preparation:
- Wash rice 3 to 4 times with water and soak it for 5 to 6 hours.
- Wash and soak Methi seeds for 5 to 6 hours.
- Wash split black gram / urad dal 3 to 4 times with water and soak for 5 to 6 hours.
- Soak rice, dal and Fenugreek seeds in different vessels.
- Drain split black gram/urad dal and grind with Fenugreek seeds with 1\2 cup of water.
- Drain and grind rice with 1 cup of water. Grid till you get smooth batter.
- Add more water if required and get batter ready.
- Mix Rice and Dal batters and mix well with spoon.
- Batter is now ready for fermentation.
- Cover the bowl with lid and keep for fermentation till 6 to 7 hours.
- You will get good result if you could put batter in hot place.
- Potato stuffing preparation:
- Pressure cook potatoes for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Peel and mash potatoes.
- Finely chop tomatoes, capsicum and onion and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in the pan and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves and sizzle.
- Add mashed potatoes and saute the mix.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, sambar masala and potatoes.
- Saute the mix for 2 to 3 minutes till all spices get mixed well with potatoes.
- Potato masala is now ready, keep it aside.
- Uttapam preparation:
- Heat non-stick pan on medium flame and grease with butter or oil.
- Pour 1 cup of prepared batter on pan and spread in circular way on the pan, it should be thicker.
- Cook it for atleast 2 minutes.
- Top it with potato stuffing and chopped capsicum, onion and tomatoes and press gently ,so that chopped vegetables get mixed with potato stuffing.
- On stuffing pour 2 to 3 spoons batter and spread equally, and top with butter or oil.
- Turn it as it’s base is cooked and becomes crispy and turned in to golden brown color.
- Apply oil or butter on it.
- Cook other side for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame as it takes more time to cook due to stuffing.
- As the other side get cooked and becomes crispy, apply oil or butter and make sure the Uttapam is cooked well from inside.
- Masala Uttapam is now ready to be served.
- You can serve Masala Uttapam with Sambar or Coconut Chutney.
Hope you enjoyed the Recipe. Do browse our other recipes as well and leave your valuable feedback for us. Do subscribe for future recipes as well. We would love to hear all the comments from you and act accordingly for our next Recipes. Happy Cooking.🙂