Farali Dahi Vada is a tasty dish made from fasting rice. It can be served when one is fasting. It’s not that heavy on stomach but can absolutely help to fulfill the hunger for a time being.
People in India keep fast on many occasions. Farali Dahi Vada is a type of food which can be eaten while fasting at that time. Shivaratri, Navaratri are some of the festivals while people keep fasting and eat this kind of food.
Here is my method of preparing Farali Dahi Vada made from fasting rice with pictures,
- Pressure cook potatoes for 4 whistles.
- Peel and smash potatoes and keep them aside.
- Rinse fasting rice / samo and keep aside.
- Make a paste of green chilies and ginger.
- Heat oil in the pan and add cumin seeds and sizzle.
- Add fasting rice/ samo and water and stir till all the water is absorbed.
- Add buttermilk and stir till it gets absorbed.
- Add ginger and chilies paste and salt and mix it well.
- Add boiled and smash potatoes. Saute till potatoes and fasting rice are mixed properly and become dry.
- Saute it till it looks thick and not sticking with pan.
- Switch off flame.
- Cool down potato and fasting rice mix for 5 minutes.
- Knead it well so there should be no lumps.
- Add farali flour and knead well and prepare a dough.
- Make approx 10 to 12 balls from the dough.
- Heat oil in the pan for frying, put prepared balls and fry carefully till it becomes golden brown in color (at the time of frying turn the balls softly and keep stirring to avoid sticking with pan)
- Your Vada are now ready.
- Tamarind chutney preparation.
- Soak tamarind for 10 to 15 mintues.
- Add tamarind, salt, jaggery, chili powder in the mixer jar and make paste.
- Add some water to make fine paste.
- Discard the scrap with help of strainer.
- Your Farali Tamarind Chutney is ready.
- Green chutney preparation
- Cut green chilies, coriander leaves and ginger.
- Add chopped green chilies, coriander leaves and ginger and salt and cumin seeds in mixer jar and make a fine paste.
- Add water and get your desired consistency.
- Your green chutney is ready.
- Serving :
- Take 3 to 4 vada in a bowl and spread 3 spoons of curd.
- On curd pour 1 spoon green chutney and a spoon of tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle cumin powder, red chili powder and chopped coriander leaves.
- your farali dahi vada are now ready to serve. Enjoy.
Hope you enjoyed the Recipe. Do browse our other recipes as well and leave your valuable feedback for us. Do subscribe for future recipes as well. We would love to hear all the comments from you and act accordingly for our next Recipes. Happy Cooking.🙂