Thepla is one of the famous Gujarati dish. Perfect for all time breakfast, lunch and dinner. It’s really tasty and healthy.
Till date I haven’t met any Gujarati person who hates eating Thepla. It can be eaten alone or with Potato Sabzi or with any other Sabzi or Pickle.One can eat it hotter or even after they get colder. Personally I love to eat Thepla after it becomes cold.
Thepla does not become bad so quickly, we can even eat it on the next day. In many parts of the Gujarat, people worship the Agnidev pooja on the eve of Saavan Saatam/Atham festivals and not cook on their stoves and eat cold food for a day. They usually make Thepla on the night before that day and eat those on the next day with curd. My personal recommendation to eat Thepla within 48 hours.
Thepla are also favorite food for Gujarati people while they commute via Trains, Buses or even abroad.
Let’s get into the method of making great and delicious Thepla. Here you go with step by step photos,
- Finely chop Coriander Leaves, Methi /Fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi. You can add pudina/ mint leaves if you wish to.
- In wide plate take Wheat flour and Besan/chickpea flour.
- Add salt ,chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder,Turmeric powder.
- Add Coriander Leaves, Methi /Fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi and pudina/ mint.
- Add curd and mix all ingredients well.
- Add 2 teaspoon oil and add water and knead well till you get smooth dough.
- Add 2 spoons of oil and knead again and rest the dough for 10 to 15 minutes .
- After resting again knead the dough and make dough balls out of it .
- Put dough ball on rolling board and dust with dry wheat flour and roll with rolling pin to make 5 to 6 inch diameter circle (Same as you make Rotis or Chapatis).
- Heat the pan/ tawa on medium flame and grease pan/ tawa with oil once.
- Put rolled Thepla on it and apply oil on the top side.
- Turn Thepla when you see bubbles top.
- Apply oil in the other side of Thepla and roast till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Thepla are ready to serve. You can enjoy Thepla with potato sabzi, pickle or curd.
Hope you enjoyed the Recipe. Do browse our other recipes as well and leave your valuable feedback for us. Do subscribe for future recipes as well. We would love to hear all the comments from you and act accordingly for our next Recipes. Happy Cooking.🙂